“How long will it take before I’m good at tango???”
It’s the wrong question to ask if we’re just interested in dabbling. But for those of us who are developing more than a casual interest, it’s a question we eventually ask our instructors or ourselves at some point.
The short answer is that it’ll take however long it takes. I know that doesn’t sound very helpful at first, but maybe the because this question needs to be considered alongside a few others…such as:
– How long does it take to get accustomed to walking while really, really paying attention to our posture?
– How long does it take to learn how to communicate with another person without talking, texting, or email?
– How long does it take to accept that, sometimes the only option to learn involves making multiple mistakes?
– How long does it take to overcome the fear of making mistakes?
– How long does it take to learn the art of giving up control?
I’m sure there are more questions you can think of. And depending on who you are, some answers will come more easily than others. But for all of us, it’s best not to rush the process or force things to happen within a certain timeframe.
Learning tango isn’t just about figuring out how to dance, but so much more. It’ll take however long it takes.
But it will be worth it.